Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Plan...

For several months, I've been telling Joe that I wish we could just get rid of all of our possessions and start over. Before we got married, we both had separate houses, complete with everything needed to run a household. When we got married, we didn't get rid of anything, we just combined it all and moved into a bigger house. Almost 5 years and one child later, we have more stuff than we know what to do with or have space to store. I'm so tired of the house (and our lives) being so full of clutter - things we've moved from house to house because "we might use this one day", things that we're keeping because "I've had this since high school." It may sound silly, but I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed with the amount of "stuff" we own. With another baby on the way, I have decided that there's no way we can add another person (and all the stuff that comes along with another person) to this family without getting rid of some of the things that are already here. So, I've challenged myself to do something that some of you might find a little odd. I'm going to get rid of at least one item a day until I feel like the only things in my house are those that I absolutely NEED. I may sell them, give them away, donate them to charity, or just throw them in the trash, but they will be gone from my house!
I haven't told Joe about this decision yet. We're going to dinner tonight, and I'm going to fill him in and try to convince him to join in and do the same. While I admit that I have a ton of junk, I am not at all sentimental about a huge majority of it. Joe, on the other hand, is very sentimental, and I'm sure that this project will be much harder for him to embrace. We'll see...
About the blog... I used to write a blog, and I loved doing it, but when I went back to work a couple years ago, I got busy and neglected the blog for too long. After reading my friend Jenn's blog, I've been thinking about blog writing again, but I wasn't really sure I had anything interesting to say. After my decluttering project epiphany today, I decided that I just might have something interesting to say after all. So... I'm going to use this blog to record and sort through the emotions that are sure to go along with downsizing my possessions, to have a record of just how much I can do without, and to keep myself accountable to actually following through with the plan. Let me know what you think about all of this. I sort of feel like the crazy pregnant lady who went off the deep end after getting frustrated while trying to clean the house. :)

6 comments:

  1. This is the best idea EVER! Of course, you know how I feel about clutter and the unnecessary! I haven't always been that way- but am almost to good at getting rid of stuff that doesn't belong! If it does not have an immediate use- I trash it! I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission! BTW, I think the emotional attachment is a guy thing- both Lupe and my Dad are the same way! Excited for you to do this- so GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need a lawnmower! So if you have one of those to get rid of let me know!
    Other than that, great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Boo, no lawnmowers here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I know I need to simplify! I will watch and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of you. I seriously need to get serious about doing the same thing. I have de-cluttered a lot, but I am living with the accumulation of 5 people, 4 of whom do not live here any more. I look forward to watching your progress and you have inspired me to get back on task with my project too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a constant thing in my house. We de-clutter at Christmas and birthdays. I "spring" clean twice a year. On an everyday basis, I watch the things being used and unused. Very quickly, the unused find a new home outside of mine. I feel that if my home is cluttered then my life is, too. My life runs much more smoothly when the house is organized and uncluttered. I wish you luck and patience in this endeavor. And, I agree with Jenn! Mathew always argues about his stuff and what we should do with it. Men are way more sentimental!
    --Kirsten

    ReplyDelete